Ozarks Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas
2019 Blues Challenge
The following agreement is required to be received by Ozark Blues Society for your registration to be considered complete. Once you have completed your online registration, please print, sign, and submit this required document. Accepted submission methods are: 1) Scanned PDF of completed document emailed to email@example.com; or 2) Mail completed form to: Ozark Blues Society, PO Box 2004, Bentonville AR 72712
What: Band and Solo/Duo Blues Challenge To be held October 25, 2019 at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville AR. Application Deadline – October 11, 2019
Competition Agreement: The undersigned hereby attests that he/she is 18 years of age or older; and is the responsible spokesperson for the individual(s) listed elsewhere on this form and identified below by real or stage name, and herein referred to as The Act. It is agreed by the spokesperson that he/she and each member of The Act, do hereby exempt from all liability, the Ozark Blues Society of NWA, The Blues Foundation, and all persons, organizations and companies that are directly or indirectly associated with the Blues Challenge. It is further agreed by the spokesperson that he/she and each member of The Act do hereby permit Ozark Blues Society of NWA the right to make use of his/her/their names, voices, pictures, visages and other likenesses of The Act for the purpose of advertising, publishing and promoting the Blues Challenge through media, including entertainment and music syndicated radio, film and/or television shows presented or produced by Ozark Blues Society or its partners or assigns. In addition, the spokesperson and each member of The Act hereby agrees that Ozark Blues Society of NWA will retain total ownership of the program(s), the right to edit the program(s), the right to broadcast the program(s), the right to copyright the program(s) and the right to license others to use these rights. The winning act will be required to register online at the Blues Foundation’s website for the Blues Foundation’s International Blues Challenge (IBC) at least two weeks prior to the official registration deadline or may forfeit their sponsorship award and the right to represent Ozark Blues Society of NWA at the 2020 International Blues Challenge in Memphis. At this point the second place act will become the representative contestant. This ensures that the winning act both abides by IBC eligibility rules and shows true intent of traveling to Memphis to compete. A sponsorship award of 4 nights lodging (January 23-26) at a Beale Street Entertainment District area hotel (plus basic parking for one vehicle) will be awarded to winners. Band winners will receive two (2) rooms for their use and solo/duo winners will receive one room. Acceptance of Sponsorship Award demonstrates agreement to attend all required competitor activities and adhere to the Blues Foundation assigned competitor performance schedule.
The undersigned spokesperson hereby acknowledges that each member of The Act is knowledgeable of and agreed to abide by the terms of the Official Rules and Eligibility Criteria and this document, as set forth by Ozark Blues Society of NWA.
Please circle challenge category: Band Solo/Duo Youth ACT
E-mail address: ________________________________________
*BAND MEMBERS, please print clearly: NAME/INSTRUMENT/AGE __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*NOTE: Substitutions will be allowed for the local Blues Challenge representation competition. However, those that perform at the local level will be required to perform at the 2020 IBC in Memphis, should your band win the local Blues Challenge.
Eligibility Criteria: Restrictions:
• Any artist whose name has appeared on a final Handy/Blues Music Award ballot is ineligible. All other musicians who have had peripheral and/or professional contact through performance with a Handy/Blues Music Award nominee, including but not limited to touring band members and studio musicians, are deemed eligible for the IBC
• An act is limited to three consecutive appearances at the IBC, i.e. there must be a break of at least one year after competing in three back-to-back IBCs.
• A musician may not compete in the Band Division and the Solo/Duo Division, even if that musician represents a different Affiliate in each.
• An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity.
• The minimum number of acts in each category (bands and solo/duo) is two (2). Ozark Blues Society of NWA may, if required due to low numbers, choose to run a combined challenge where bands compete against solo/duo acts, but in such cases there would be only one winner selected to go to the IBC. No other eligibility restrictions apply.
• Acts must submit the appropriate entry fee ($25 for solo or duo acts and $50 per band) via our website: www.ozarkbluessociety.org prior to submitting this form.
• All scheduled performance times are approximate. It is highly recommended that The Act arrive at least 1 hour prior to their scheduled performance. Cancellations and short performance times of other acts may accelerate the schedule. If for any reason an act is not ready to take the stage following the previous competitor’s performance, the act will forfeit their right perform and the competition will proceed to the next act.
Equipment and Sets:
As a reminder, Ozark Blues Society of NWA will provide the PA system, microphones, amps and drums. You are required to use the equipment provided with the following exceptions: Drummers should bring their own cymbals and may bring a snare, kick pedal and throne if desired. Harp players may bring a harp amp and Keyboard players may bring their keyboards. There will be 10 minutes between acts for artists to set up and vacate the stage following their performance so please consider these limits when deciding whether to bring equipment.
Order of performance will be determined by random drawing following the closing of registration and acts will receive notification by email shortly thereafter of their playing time and length of set. Set length will be not less than 20 minutes, but may be longer if the number of participants is less than 6.
Registration is completed online and requires submission via email of a bio and photo that meet requirements. This competition Agreement should be mailed or emailed as noted above.
We will make every attempt to accommodate all qualifying registrant, however Ozark Blues Society of NWA reserves the right to close the registration early if the number of acts reaches the maximum we can accommodate. Please consider registering early. Registration fees are paid with a credit card during the registration process. Please notify us if you have difficulty with the payment process. Application fee is non-refundable for acts accepted into the competition. At least one member of The Act must be a member of Ozark Blues Society of NWA prior to completing the online registration. Refund of application fee for acts not accepted into the competition may be request and will be made by check after the date of the competition.
Your signature on this form is a guarantee of performance. Do Not sign if you have a conflict with the date of the competition.
Arbitration of Eligibility Disputes:
Ozark Blues Society of NWA will stand as the final arbiter of any disputes. Each entrant is required to sign an affidavit stating that the band meets eligibility requirements. Bands found to be ineligible will be disqualified from the competition.
I hereby represent that I am authorized to agree to all terms and conditions listed above for The Act.
Name (please print):___________________________________________________________________